Making Numbers Tell their Stories
Tools & Guides
- Timelines: TimeTravel in TV and Film -- Yup, we went through 36 drafts of this. Yes, I am a rampant perfectionist. Yes I can be difficult to work with.
- Information is Agonizing: Designing The Cover of the book -- Creating the UK cover for Information Is Beautiful was an agonizing yet gloriously creative pain in the ass involving over 90 – yes nine-ty – different versions.
- Versioning: Because Every Design Is Good For Something -- How do you flag and label 142 countries on a single map without choking the result? With great difficulty.
- 22 Useful Online Chart & Graph Generators
- Public Data Explorer & Current Dataset Directory -- The Google Public Data Explorer makes large datasets easy to explore, visualize and communicate. As the charts and maps animate over time, the changes in the world become easier to understand. You don't have to be a data expert to navigate between different views, make your own comparisons, and share your findings.
- Google Chart tools / Image Charts (aka Chart API)T -- The Google Chart API lets you dynamically generate charts with a URL string. You can embed these charts on your web page, or download the image for local or offline use.