Return to the main page
The Leadership Role
Practical applications for the role of the principal, vice principal and technology coach to help move teachers forward with their understanding of technology as an instructional tool, their reflection upon and assessment of their use of technology as an instructional strategy to improve the student learning in their classrooms.
Note: I prefer to say "learning tool" rather than "instructional tool.
- Maintain a personal learning network, connecting to people and sources for new knowledge and ideas.
- Showcase new tech tools (Tech Tuesdays)
- Showcase teachers who are making interesting/exemplary use of tech tools
- Facilitate teachers sharing with each other their questions and solutions about technology in the learning environment
- Maintain a public portfolio of learning (and teaching) artifacts from learning activities of your school.
- Maintain a blog (or other sharing facility) to share new tools and techniques learned on the job and through a PLN)
- Talk to students about their use of technology at school and at home. Identify students to include in conversations about future investments in technology and technique.
- Organize with administrative staff, a Showcase for parents and community, where teachers and learner demonstrate and talk about how they are teaching and learning from NDA information.
Principals and vice principals
- Set the stage with a vision that includes challenge to prepare a new generation of learning, within a new information environment, for a future that we can no longer clearly describe.
- Work within an NDA environment. Go paperless as much as possible and celebrate it. Save money, environment, and step into the future (which is now)
- Use the NDA environment to share news and other information with the school community:
- Set up a blog and post to it regularly (at least once a week)
- Set up a podcast and post a new program every week.
- Interview students once a week and record that conversation. The post it as your podcast.
- Do not use the term "technology." Say that, "We are working hard to prepare our children for an unpredictable but opportunity-rich future utilizing today's dynamic and rapidly evolving information landscape